February 2020 Calendar
Month of February
The month of love, happiness, and positivity February has been one of the most awaited tenures of a year. It is considered to be the smallest month but is the biggest in terms of enjoyment and several occasions. Just in case you haven’t been able to make any kind of preferable plans during January, plan them out in February. Get to know more about this interesting month here.
What is February?
February is the second month of the year and it consists of 28 days. This is why it is considered as the smallest one out of other prevalent months. At the time of New Year, the number of days in February skip from 28 to 29.
It stands as a quite special month since this month contains less than 30 days. The name February has been derived from the Latin word Febrrum that means purification. It is named so because the month of February is an epitome of the time of purification.
What is the history of February?
- The Roman Calendar witnesses January as well as February as the last two months which were added on to the other months.
- It has been showcased by the Roman Calendar that Februa i.e. a purification ritual is celebrated on February 15th.
- February is a month that illustrates the presence of the wintertime. During the ancient days, winter month was a month-less tenure. Due to such consideration, February came out as the last month for getting added to the Roman Calendar.
- It was the time of the bygone era when February comprised of only 23-24 days.
Why February has 28 days?
There are 28 days in February and this is due to a kind of Roman superstition. It is said that right from the very starting, there were many differences in the structure of the Roman Calendar. This was noted by the oldest ancestors during that time. However, as time passed there was a gradual change in the things.
Earlier, there were 10 months in the Roman Calendar but in order to sync it up with the lunar year, January and February were introduced. During the ancient time, when there were ten months in the Roman Calendar, 6 out of them had 30 days while the other 4 have 31 days. On the whole, there were 304 days. Many people considered 304 as an unlucky number.
With the intention of converting the year into an odd one, Numa started deducting a day from each month and later on, every month had 29 days. A month out of the 12 months needed to have even days. February was chosen for serving this purpose. It started being considered as a host of purification rituals while hailing with 28 days in it.
What are the public holidays in February?
There are many enjoyable occasions marking their prevalence in February. With these, the locals from the US are able to enjoy it at their utmost.
Below mentioned days are prevalent in the US while some out of these are public holidays too:
- 1 February 2020 (Saturday): National Freedom Day
- 2 February 2020 (Sunday): Groundhog Day
- 10 February 2020 (Monday): Tu Bishvat/Tu B’Shevat
- 12 February 2020 (Wednesday): Lincoln’s birthday
- 14 February 2020 (Friday): Valentine’s Day
- 17 February 2020 (Monday): Presidents’ Day
- 25 February 2020 (Tuesday): Shrove Tuesday
Let us know more about the most important days out of these in detail. These are Valentine’s Day, Groundhog Day and Presidents’ Day.
Valentine’s Day is not a modern occasion and this is because it is hailing since the 5th century in the Roman holiday Lupercalia. It has been referred to as a perfect day for love! Every couple excitedly awaits its arrival on February 14th.
The Americans celebrate this romantic day since the 19th century. This event is full of love and is not only celebrated by couples, but also by the family mates. Where there is love, there is going to be a celebration of Valentine’s Day.
Groundhog Day is celebrated on 2nd February and has been quite popular worldwide, especially in Canada and the US. The people celebrate this day in order to honor the odd burrowing rodent. It is said that this rodent knows the art of forecasting the upcoming spring season.
If this groundhog comes out of its home, it notifies the commencement of wintertime in the upcoming six weeks. There are many theories that are connected with the celebration of Groundhog Day. The Germans are known to be the ones who have brought up the Groundhog Day during the 1700s.
Presidents’ Day is a federal holiday in the US. This day marks the birth of Washington and you can observe this occasion during the third Monday of February every year. The residents of America pay homage and remember the Presidents of the US. The most important one out of these is none other than George Washington.
Few businesses might be open during the Presidents’ Day, however, the schools are closed. The past Presidents of the US are honored for their commendable contribution to the development of the US. Apart from that, the great works done by George WashingtonPrintable February 2020 Calendar Template are praised on Presidents’ Day.
Fun facts about February
Some of the fun facts associated with the month of February are as follows:
- As considered by the Welsh, February is considered to be ‘y mis bach’. This means ‘little month’.
- February is noted as the summer month in the Southern Hemisphere. You can take it as the one equivalent to August there.
- February has been the most commonly misspelled word in English.
- February was prevalent as the Black History Month for a period of more than 40 years.
- This month is a National Snack Food Month, as entailed by the people.
The most important month of the year, February has always been a reminiscence of many events hailing from the past. Some of them have been good, while others were bad too. Each day lying in February is a celebration. Make sure you enjoy it thoroughly.